The facilitator learning materials are designed to accompany the teacher professional development materials. Just as we value the importance of good teaching in supporting student learning, we value the importance of good facilitation for the effectiveness of teacher professional learning. These facilitator learning materials have been used with the OpenSciEd Field Test Facilitators throughout the project.
A key aspect of the design is to engage facilitators in the teacher professional learning as participants and then provide opportunities for reflection and planning. Included in these materials are the agendas, slides, and resources necessary to layer on top of the teacher professional learning materials.
The Facilitator Professional Learning materials for Universal Design include the following opportunities:
- Deepening our understanding of the UDL principles within the context of OpenSciEd
- Reflecting on the diversity within the classroom to support teacher enactment
- Analyzing PD video related to analyzing OpenSciEd materials for UDL principles
- Understanding the shift from deficit language around English learners to asset-based language of emergent multilingual learners (EMLs)
- Planning for future enactment of professional learning
The Facilitator materials include a session designed to be used after engaging in the teacher professional learning (See Day 0 UDL Agenda and Slides). We have found it to be most beneficial if the times for the teacher professional learning are kept intact (e.g. do all of day 1 on day 1-don’t split it up on different days). In order to do this, it is suggested that you end with a half day (Day 0) after the Teacher PD to reflect on and discuss facilitation and then add 1+ hours to each day for ongoing facilitation reflection.
Days 1-2: Focused reflection time in “Facilitator Hat” interspersed during the Teacher PD. Additionally, you may want to add additional time for planning and continued focus on facilitation.
Day 0: Half-day facilitator professional learning designed to take place after experiencing the OpenSciEd Teacher PD.