The calendar below shows the professional learning events hosted by OpenSciEd and our Certified Professional Learning partners.
Middle School Equitable Discussions Professional Learning (Virtual)
June 26 - June 29$500.00 – $800.00
This two-day, virtual professional learning session focuses on the overarching question – How do we support equitable sensemaking? It explicitly focuses on equity, classroom culture, and classroom sensemaking discussions while digging deeper into the unit of your choice (6.3 Weather & Climate, 7.3 Metabolic Reactions, or 8.3 Forces at a Distance).
This event assumes the prerequisite completion of the OpenSciEd Curriculum Launch professional learning and previous experience teaching an OpenSciEd unit. Included in this session are opportunities for teachers to:
- Reflect on successes and challenges around OpenSciEd implementation to support more equitable science classrooms.
- Examine student video and learning scenarios to recognize the range of resources students use to make sense of science, consider the features of classroom culture, and identify strategies to support the three main discussion types used in OpenSciEd.
- Identify pedagogical implications and strategies that can be used to support the development of classroom culture and leverage student resources.
- Reflect on the key aspects of productive discussions and use a Discussion Planning Tool to plan for discussions that support idea development and student engagement.
- Engage in the actual lessons of the unit as a student.
Previous classroom experience with OpenSciEd is expected for this professional learning session.
- 2 full days: June 27 – 28; 11-6 EST
- (Early bird $500, Regular price $550)
The facilitator ticket is for those interested in leading this professional learning themselves in their own context. Facilitators will experience the teacher sessions as well as two additional two-hour sessions to dig into the key goals of the PL and prepare to facilitate this event for others.
- 2 full days: June 27 – 28; 11-6 EST PLUS Facilitator sessions: June 26th and June 29th, 12-2 EST
- (Early bird $750, Regular price $800)
Early bird pricing ends: May 1, 2023
Registration closing date: June 1, 2023