The calendar below shows the professional learning events hosted by OpenSciEd and our Certified Professional Learning partners.
- This event has passed.
PARTNER EVENT – Elevate OpenSciEd Curriculum Launch: Instructional Routines to Support Student Sensemaking
January 20 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm PST$1000
The Elevate OpenSciEd Curriculum Launch supports educators to use and purposefully adapt elementary, middle, or high school science curriculum in order to implement the pedagogical shifts envisioned by A Framework for K-12 Science Education and the Next Generation Science Standards. As a result of this professional learning, educators will understand specific instructional routines that may be used across instructional materials to support student sensemaking of phenomena that is relevant to their interests and experiences.
The Elevate OpenSciEd Curriculum Launch is a total of 32 hours of synchronous and asynchronous professional learning between January and June. The synchronous professional learning occurs virtually on:
Friday 1/20 @ 9am-3pm
Saturday 1/21 @ 9am-3pm
Thursday 2/16, Thursday 3/9, Thursday 4/6, and Thursday 5/11 @ 3-5pm
Friday 6/2 @ 9am-3pm
Educators who participate in the cohort are expected to select and teach at least one science unit as they engage in professional learning. MMSA recommends that educators select at least one unit to teach from the list of openly available, high quality science instructional materials.
However, educators are encouraged to select units that best serve them and their school communities and consult with MMSA to ensure they are best supported throughout the professional learning.
We encourage educators to connect with MMSA prior to the professional learning if they would like guidance on selecting units.
- During this professional learning experience educators will explore:
- How do we use phenomena and engineering problems to launch investigations in a unit?
- How do we help students use science practices to figure out science ideas?
- How do we work with students to decide on next steps in an investigation and push them to go deeper?
- How do we help students synthesize science ideas and apply them in new contexts?
- How can we purposefully adapt high quality instructional material to meet the needs and interests of our students?
- Included in this session are opportunities for educators to:
- Explore instructional routines that align with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Engage in NGSS-designed lessons in “student hat”.
- Watch videos of students engaging in NGSS-designed lessons.
- Hear teachers reflect on shifting their teaching practices.
- Prepare to use and purposefully adapt science instructional materials.