The facilitator learning materials are designed to accompany the teacher professional learning materials. Just as we value the importance of good teaching in supporting student learning, we value the importance of good facilitation for the effectiveness of teacher professional learning. These facilitator learning materials have been used with the OpenSciEd Field Test Facilitators throughout the project.
A key aspect of the design is to engage facilitators in the teacher professional learning as participants and then provide opportunities for reflection and planning. Included in these materials are the agendas, slides, and resources necessary to layer on top of the teacher professional learning materials.
The Facilitator Professional Learning materials include the following opportunities:
- Analyzing PL video of whole group student hat discussions.
- Using tools and analyzing PL video regarding discussion rehearsals.
- Planning for and rehearsing the Initial Consensus Model discussion for your unit.
- Analyzing PL Video to support teachers in noticing and leveraging student resources.
- Digging into the features of classroom culture that support equitable sensemaking.
Sample Session Resources
There are 3 parts of the facilitation support that can be used before, during, and after the facilitators engage in the 2.5 day teacher PL:
- Part A: (Whole Group) Supporting Discussions (2 hours)-
- Designed to be completed before starting the 2.5 day teacher PL but could also be completed after
- Part B: (Unit Specific) Planning and Rehearsing the Initial Consensus Model Discussion (1 hour)-
- Designed to be done after facilitators have engaged in the anchoring phenomenon routine for their focal unit.
- Part C: (Whole Group) Features of Classroom Culture that Support Equitable Sensemaking (1.5 hours)
- Designed to be done after completing the 2.5 day Teacher PL session
There are 3 parts of the facilitation support that can be used before, during, and after the facilitators engage in the 2.5 day teacher professional learning. To see the agenda and slides for the teacher professional learning, download the professional learning materials.