Chester County Intermediate Unit
The CCIU is a dynamic educational service agency providing quality, innovative and cost-effective programs and services to enhance the lives of students, educators and members of our communities.
The CCIU provides services to the 12 school districts in Chester County, which include: special and compensatory education programs; career, technical and customized education; staff development; technology initiatives; consortia for school business operations; and curriculum services. The teaching and learning department within the CCIU’s innovative educational services division is dedicated to professional learning in the field of science education by offering educators high-quality and research-based training and resources through workshops, coaching and collaborative initiatives.
The CCIU’s STEM team is uniquely positioned to provide comprehensive support for schools and districts in implementing OpenSciEd. The team is dedicated to promoting professional learning in the field of science education by offering educators high-quality and research-based training and resources. Our expertise encompasses many critical areas, ensuring a holistic approach to successful adoption.
Our team can assist in ensuring that OpenSciEd materials align with the priority standards identified by the district, are pedagogically aligned to district priorities and effectively support teachers in delivering engaging science instruction.
In addition to materials review, we assist schools with the initial curriculum launch. We provide guidance on planning, sequencing and pacing to ensure a smooth transition into the OpenSciEd framework.
We facilitate equitable discussions and practices, helping educators address diverse student needs and fostering an inclusive learning environment. Furthermore, we can support districts by prioritizing student sensemaking and promoting active learning and critical thinking. Our strategies empower students to construct their understanding of scientific concepts effectively.
Finally, our team offers extensive teacher coaching and support. We provide ongoing professional development, mentoring and resources to empower educators to confidently implement OpenSciEd, ultimately enhancing the quality of science education in schools and districts.
At the CCIU, we are dedicated to supporting high-quality science instruction that is accessible to every student. We recognize that all students have unique needs and work closely with schools and districts to identify and eliminate any obstacles hindering student learning progress.
We support teachers in their pursuit of delivering relevant science instruction and personalized interventions. Our professional development programs prioritize creating classroom environments that foster engagement and participation from every student. We empower educators with the necessary tools and knowledge to address disparities in science education, guaranteeing equal opportunities for success for all students.
We firmly believe that every student deserves an equal chance to excel in science regardless of their background. This is why we are committed to ensuring that every student can reach their full academic potential.
The CCIU is committed to providing sustainable professional development opportunities that empower educators to improve their skills and enhance student outcomes. Our approach is based on essential principles that guide our work:
1. Customization: We understand that every school system has unique needs and goals. That is why we collaborate closely with each school to design customized professional learning plans.
2. Research-Based Practices: Our professional learning programs are grounded in the latest research and best practices. We ensure that educators have access to evidence-based strategies and resources.
3. Long-Term Engagement: We believe that professional learning is a continuous process. That’s why we offer ongoing support and resources, including coaching, mentoring and follow-up sessions.
4. Data-Driven Decision-Making: We help school systems implement data-driven practices, enabling educators to assess progress, identify areas for improvement and make informed adjustments to their teaching approaches.
5. Collaborative Learning Communities: We foster a culture of collaboration among educators, creating opportunities for them to share insights, strategies and challenges with their peers.
By embracing these principles, CCIU ensures that professional learning within school systems is not just an event but a sustainable, transformative process that continuously elevates the quality of education and positively impacts student achievement.
Where We Work
OpenSciEd Professional Learning
- Curriculum Launch
- Facilitator Training
- Ongoing Support/Unit Launch
- Unit Adaptation Support
OpenSciEd Grade Level Focus
- Middle School
Other Professional Learning
- Strategic District Implementation
- Supporting Science Coaches