The calendar below shows the professional learning events hosted by OpenSciEd and our Certified Professional Learning partners.
- This event has passed.
Equitable Discussions Professional Learning
February 24 - March 10$500.00 – $750.00
This two-day, virtual professional learning session focuses on the overarching question – How do we support equitable sensemaking? It explicitly focuses on equity, classroom culture, and classroom sensemaking discussions while digging deeper into the unit of your choice (6.3 Weather & Climate, 7.3 Metabolic Reactions, or 8.3 Forces at a Distance).
This event assumes the prerequisite completion of the OpenSciEd Curriculum Launch professional learning and previous experience teaching an OpenSciEd unit. Included in this session are opportunities for teachers to:
- Reflect on successes and challenges around OpenSciEd implementation to support more equitable science classrooms.
- Examine student video and learning scenarios to recognize the range of resources students use to make sense of science, consider the features of classroom culture, and identify strategies to support the three main discussion types used in OpenSciEd.
- Identify pedagogical implications and strategies that can be used to support the development of classroom culture and leverage student resources.
- Reflect on the key aspects of productive discussions and use a Discussion Planning Tool to plan for discussions that support idea development and student engagement.
- Engage in the actual lessons of the unit as a student.
Previous classroom experience with OpenSciEd is expected for this professional learning session.
We are offering two options for dates/times/tickets.
Teacher tickets ($500)
- Option 1: 2 full days: March 2 and 3; 11-6 EST
- Option 2: 4 half days: February 28, March 2, 7, 9; 4:00-6:30 EST
Facilitator tickets ($750)
- Option 1: 2 full days: March 2 and 3; 11-6 EST PLUS Facilitator sessions: February 24th and March 10th, 12-2 EST
- Option 2: 4 half days: February 28, March 2, 7, 9; 4:00-6:30 EST PLUS Facilitator sessions: February 24th and March 10th, 12-2 EST
Registration closing date: January 24, 2023
- View Organizer Website